« 3 offers Skype | Main | Demo »

Jan 25, 2006

Repaired and upgraded

A little more than a month has passed after I repaired and upgraded my A1000. I wanted the set to be in a nice condition, since I plan to sell it soon. The only real damage was the lost joypad button. The first fix, the store just put a new button in place, worked for less than a day. Then the button was gone again. In the 3 store (Stureplan, Stockholm) the customer service guy said the set had to be handled over to their repair shop. It would take about 24 hours. Well, it took three (3 :-) days. Then the button stayed for about four days until it popped off again. Actually, I find it easier to navigate without the button. The phone just does not look as nice when it is off. One bonus is that I got a new front shell - so the phone shines!

At the time for the repair I asked them to upgrade the software if there was a new version out. Of course I first used the Motorola Desktop Suite (MDS) to make a backup. Took about five minutes to Bluetooth it over to my laptop in the store cafeteria. After the upgrade I was nervous when I restored the backup. First I made sure to select the same language in the phone as in the backup (English). Then I downloaded and installed the most recent version of MDS.

To my pleasure the backup-restore process went rather fine. In sum:

  1. The ringtunes, Phone skin and lock settings were lost (but the tunes was in the phone). I was a rather simple thing to redo the settings.
  2. Now Guru (positioning service) works with the in built GPS, pretty well actually. Tried many times before but never got it to work.
  3. All my installed applications (e.g. Tracker, Stacker) were automatically restored and worked just fine. The Tracker "Web shortcut" function does still not work. The same goes for my attempt to modify the default browser settings on the Home screen. Although the the icons I made are displayed, but the links are to 3:s portal, not where I want to go.
  4. All data (contacts, calendar, mp3-files, downloaded songs, etc) came back and the first sync with Outlooked went smoothly.

Now the phone is as good as new. Well, maybe the battery is loosing its condition a little bit. I am not sure, but it seems that way.

10:50 AM in General | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341cb32e53ef00d835259fdb53ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Repaired and upgraded:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.